21 June 2007

over it

I am - for now - finished with focusing on how best to present my educated, thoughtful, and prepared self, my safe and child-friendly home, my clean shiny lack of criminal history, my big-enough bank account, my admirable state of employment, my supportive network of friends and family, my multiculturally diverse church, my comprehensive health insurance, my cohesive and friendly neighborhood, etc., etc., etc.,

My homestudy, she is complete.

Not that I've SEEN it. But my agency informs me they have shipped it off to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service. Which should result in them giving me an appointment to go have my fingerprints taken so the FBI can agree that I have a clean shiny lack of criminal history.

Which should result the USCIS's sending me the fabled and much-coveted Form I-171H (AKA a "favorable determination"). Receipt of this means that my very own federal government officially considered good enough to adopt Sprout.

14 comments:

Carrie said...

Congratulations!! It's so nice to have that step behind you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for speedy USCIS processing.

hazel said...

YAY!!! Aren't you glad to now know that you are a good person? Worthy of parenting a child? Because no one (including you) knew this about you before you started the rigamarole. Right?

Seriously, good on ya! Now you can go back to single gal life as normal for a bit...with all the smoking, the drinking, the drugging, the late night orgies....

Anonymous said...

Great news! Thankfully the updates aren't nearly as bad as the original homestudy was. Going through it once was grueling enough.

Glad to hear Sprout is one step closer!

C's Mom said...

Good to have that step behind you. Congrats :0)

I am now 'over it' x 2 with re-fingerprinting today.

Hopefully that will be something you won't have to experience.

Melissa said...

congrats, that is a load off your shoulders.

Clare Carver said...

congrats on being "worthy" and gov. approved : ) it's about time they're done convincing themselves what we all know :)

Elle said...

Woo Hoo, you pass the first parenting "test." Like Haze said, you can get on with life now. *snicker*

Anonymous said...

Arg, good to be done. I hate being looked at like that.

Anonymous said...

Great news. Although, you didn't see it? I had to sit there and read through mine and sign off on every page. (And I pointed out typos. HOpe that didn't piss the social worker off, but hey, by then I was done, right?)

Congratulations, this is a huge step to cross off your list!

june

I Love Purple More Than You said...

Congrats! I know it is such a huge relief to be finished with the homestudy.

Calico Sky said...

Soooo happy for you!!!!!!!!!!

WOO HOO!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chou Chou. I live in Vancouver BC. I too am single and adopting from Ethiopia. We seem to be at about the same stage of the process. I don't actually recall how I found your blog - my computer illiteracy frightens even me - but I enjoy following your progress. The agency I use lets me specify the gender and age of my baby, so I've requested a baby girl. Best of luck to you.

Barbara

ferenge mama said...

Hey, thanks everyone!!

So kind.

JunieB - I did see it in draft form (and fixed PLENTY of typos, I tell you!) but was worried because I hadn't received the final notarized copies. But I got 'em today. :-)

Barbara - welcome! Nice to meet another single gal adopting from Ethio. Now you just need to start a blog!

Anonymous said...

blogs are beyond me. But you can reach me by email if you like. Oh, and word of warning on the fingerprints - I've had my Interpol results sitting in a safe place waiting to join my final application to Addis, and i just noticed this week that THEY SPELLED MY NAME WRONG. Right fingerprints, right bday, wrong last name. I am scrambling, I tell you. Also, you are right about the crazy canuck passport system. I renewed mine in March and it was supposed to take 10 weeks. 12 weeks and counting. My agency has now written a "humanitarian" request for expedition. But, pending receipt of those two things, my application will be on its way to Ottawa in a week or so, arrival in Addis in about a month...