27 June 2007

the gears of govmint

Today I received - finally - my state-certified birth certificates. (I thought I was good to go with my very official-looking county-certified ones, then realized that was not right! doh!)

I submitted my official (notarized, of course) request for them MONTHS ago, and when I called to find out the status, I got a bit of shock.

The CA state office of Vital Statistics has a recording on their machine that basically says "Yeah, so, the Governator cut our budget all to hell. And so we'll only be answering the phone about 2 hours per day, so just keep on trying to reach us. (Good luck with that!) Also, don't even bother asking for a status update until about 3 months after you submitted your request for birth certificates - it's taking at least that long to process requests."

I wasn't panicking yet, but was nervous - the gears of government, then turn slowly sometimes! But, today they came.

I go get my fingerprints taken tomorrow morning - I did this once before, for the state DOJ clearance. This time, it's for the Feds. And it should be the last fingerprinting session - unless something goes seriously sideways. (I'm off to moisturize my hands, because Paige tells me this is important.)

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Good on the b-certificate. I did the same thing -- thinking my stamped one from the local office was OK. D'oh.

You're being sarcastic about the moisturizing your hands, I hope.

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's really coming together! I am so impressed by how you stay on top of all of this.

C's Mom said...

Those gears turn slowly but they are turning!

Elle said...

First, don't put lotion on your hands right before the fingerprinting. The machines don't like it and the homeland security people obviously don't like their jobs and love nothing more that to bitch at you for lotioning up your hands.

And chalk another one up for the Governator. Exxxcccceeelllleeennnttt, budget cuts. Way to get things done.

kate said...

Slowly but surely...love the recap on the answering machine message, btw.

Oh, and I've heard cornhusker's lotion (it's real--I googled it.) is supposed to be good for people with reticent fingerprints.

I Love Purple More Than You said...

Moisturizing regularly for two weeks prior to your fingerprinting is best. Hope you don't have any trouble with your prints!