26 November 2006

dog is my co-pilot

It was good to have a couple of days off, and to not focus on work.
And Palm Springs is not exactly a terrible place to spend a few days.

The thing is, I didn't really want to take off and leave my dog India behind, because she's having surgery tomorrow (Monday) and I just wanted to spend time with her.

Probably it is silly to be so attached to a pet, but I can't help it. India has been my rock - the one constant in my life during the recent chaotic years.

During this time, my little sister died suddenly. I lost my job. I broke up with my fiance after he descended into the hell of drug addiction. I moved out of the house we shared into my first solo house. And then I watched my dad's slow death from cancer.

This isn't meant to be a pity party, as things have been blessedly calm for a while, and I feel optimistic and excited about the next chapter of my life. The point is that I kept getting knocked off my feet by the events in my life. There were days when I was not sure how, or even if, I could carry on. And many, many times when the only thing that got me through was the gentle presence and companionship of India.

I don't know what I would have done without her. She has been such a loyal and loving friend to me.

And so, although I know this surgery is the right thing to do, and that she needs it to be able to walk on all 4 legs again, I'm scared to bring her to the vet in the morning.

Please pray for India's safety (and my sanity) tomorrow.

3 comments:

C's Mom said...

I'll be thinking of you and India. I know what having that special kind of constant is like through the hell that life sometimes brings. I can relate very weel to a few of yours and, yes, where would we be without our reliable furbabies?

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, what a rough few years you have had. Even without such trying times our pets are important. I feel the same way about mine. I'll be thinking of you (and India) today.

Deb said...

It is totally normal how attached you feel to India. My mom is the same way with her dog. After my dad passed away 2 years ago she does not let that go get to far away from her.

I will be praying for you both today. Keep us updated.