Sproutie Details and the Call
OK, now that I've slept (well, not much, really - laid there with my mind running circles until the wee hours), I can relay more info about the Sprout.
She is 4 months old, and from southern Ethiopia – a small town called Aleta Wendo (about 40 miles south of Awassa) in the Sidama region. (Here's a map.)
She is 10 lbs, 13 ounces and 23.2 inches tall. (Very small for U.S. growth charts but quite normal on the Ethiopian charts). The International Adoption pediatrician checked out her info and told me last night that she looks like an “excellent baby”. Woo hoo! (I already knew that of course.)
I got the call telling me about her yesterday afternoon, although her information arrived at my adoption agency on Christmas Day (Merry Christmas to ME!). How very amazing that Christmas turned out to be the day.
Yesterday, I was wrapping up the visit with my mother, who had flown down for the baby shower and Christmas. I was getting ready to leave the house to drive her to the airport – we were almost out the door when the phone rang. Mom sat down when I gestured wildly to her that this was THE CALL.
To my mother’s mortification, my response to the adoption agency person when she told me she was about to give me the big news was “are you SHITTING me?!!?!?!?!” (I’m so polished, no?)
I blathered on a lot, and I think I asked a bunch of questions, but I can't remember much of that conversation at all - I was just kind of in shock. Will have to call the agency tomorrow and try again. :-)
So…. what comes next?
I don’t get to go to Ethiopia just yet, I’m afraid. First, the attorney who works with my adoption agency goes to court over there on my behalf to formalize the adoption under Ethiopian law – I’ll let you know my court date, but it will likely be in late January or early February.
Then I wait my turn to get the all-important embassy date, at which I must appear in person with Sproutie at the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa. That will likely be in late February or (more likely) early March, but I won't know exactly when until after the court proceedings are finished. This date will determine when I will travel to go get the Sprout!
Please keep Sproutie in your prayers so that she stays healthy and happy, and that the court date is successful so that I can officially become her mother.

21 comments:
This is just so exciting!!! I can only imagine what is going through your head.
And I LOOOOVE your response upon hearing the news. It's a classic yet most likely will be what I say.
Congrats and here's wishing Jan. and Feb. just fly by for you!!
OMG, I haven't checked your blog in a few days and was so happy to see this post. Congratsulations!!!!! I am so happy for you. I also see a potty-mouth response in my future when we get a referral, so I imagine your caseworker's heard it before. Too funny, though!!!!
That's funny. I could see myself saying that but maybe with the F word in front of it. Especially since I'll wait at least 3 times longer than I expected for my referral.
So when will you share her name? I'm dying to know.
That is amazing and exciting! My mother would have been mortified as well! I hope that your adoption is finalized soon and that you are in Ethopia before you know it!
Congratulations! She is stunning. I hope the next part of the process just zooms by.
She'll be in my prayers and I hope everything will fly though so you can bring her home asap!
Oh, and I have to ditto Special K's "F" before your comment...lol... that would have been me, totally.
I hope it all goes smoothly! I'm sure it will.
Halelujia! She is so beautiful and you are so happy it makes me start to cry. Its just so frickin' moving. Thanks for sharing.
So very happy for you!! Congrats! I hope the rest goes smoothly and quickly (never quickly enough, I know)
How wonderful! She is so amazingly beautiful!!! My daughter is Sidama too.
I'm very, very happy for you!!!
Yaaay! Her weight sounds good to me too. (My response to 'the call' was to ask "Are you kidding me?" about eighteen times, while crying. Good times.)
I am just over the moon for you both!
I love your response! Even better that your mom was there lol :)
I'm so happy for you. Your baby girl is beautiful! Can't wait to see a photo of you holding her.
Wow! That is great news! She is beautiful!!
Congratulations!
I can't wait to hear more!!
Excellent news!! Congratz. I'll keep her in my prayers as you wait to bring her home. She's adorable!
Hee. I love your response - straight from the gut. (I have worried that my response may include the F-bomb, when the time comes).
I'm so glad that your mom was there when you received the news - that is extra special.
Man, now I can't wait to see more Sprout pictures on your blog and before we know it, you will be bringing her home and sharing pictures of the two of you together! YAY!!
BTW, kudos for not sharing her name until you are officially her mother. That's a good way to handle it while sharing her picture with us (if that is indeed your plan. And you never need to share her name on your blog, of course).
When we got the call I said No Way a hundred times, and then pulled myself together enough to say Wow, over and over again.
You would have thought that I hadn't known that it was coming!
"... my response to the adoption agency person when she told me she was about to give me the big news was “are you SHITTING me?!!?!?!?!” (I’m so polished, no?)
That, Madmoiselle, is everything that's right with you!!! Ofcourse, I feel bad for your mom, whatwith your potty mouth, ...but you're cool! I'm still laughing, however, ...especially at how you're going to describe your reaction to this moment of pure joy to Sproutie!!! Hee Hee Hee. ...Don't hold back.
Always,
SZ
Congratulations!
Happy, happy news.
Hey. Would love to be able to e-mail you. Mine is onlyk8 @ yahoo dot com
(PS I did read all seven HP books while I was sick...but they're pretty quick reads. And, I had no internet.)
CONGRATULATIONS!!! How awesome!
Post a Comment