22 December 2007

An Embarrassment of Riches

The family baby shower hosted by my sister was today - it was so much fun!!

I (finally) got over my weirdness about not having a referral, and had a great time.

I got tons of really thoughtful lovely things, including a handknit blanket from my mom, some great books, receiving blankets, clothes, toys, etc. etc. etc.

And, one of the coolest things was that everyone at the shower wrote in a little notebook that my sister created (using the shower invite she made as a front cover). In it, they each wrote a bit of parenting advice - some serious, some funny, but all wonderful!

I am so blessed.

Photos are here in slideshow form (hope this works) for those who want to see...




Picasa SlideshowPicasa Web AlbumsFullscreen




Just in case you can't read my sister's sage advice that she entered into the little notebook - I include a shot of her page in the slideshow above - I am repeating it here, because it's genius (IMHO):

"Do not let child out of car at speeds higher than 20 MPH.

The laws of physics will continue to operate upon the child, no matter how physically attractive she may be.

No tobasco.

Blog whenever you hear something come out of your mouth that is channeled from your mother, not that this will change anything, but it will entertain the rest of us.

Don't bring a baby to the zen meditation center.

Go with your gut. Your baby is her own person.
"

I ask you - can you get any better advice than this???

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous shin-dig! Glad you had a delightful time!

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

How lovely. :-)

Headmeister said...

I LOVE those teacups, LOVE the invites and the book your sister made, and LOVE her wisdom and advice - cracked me up! You have fabulous family and friends... don't feel guilty about not having a referral before your shower. Save the guilt for later, after she's home...LOL! (Don't all good mothers always have guilt? lol)

Rachael said...

I think I like this sister of yours! Great advice.

Special K said...

Looks like a great shower. And I love the advice. Funny stuff.

Anonymous said...

What a great party! I just have a "feeling" your referral is coming very soon!! You have been soooo patient! I know the waiting is hard and were all here for you.
thanks for showing the shower photos. They are great.

Maggie said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Carissa said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all!

kate said...

what a wonderful shower! that book sounds priceless.

my students started a book for me so that i'd know how to say useful things in russian. the best one--and the student whose concern that i wouldn't know how to say this to my child prompted the book--was "eat your vegetables". apparently that's the most important mom phrase there is. ;>

Tami said...

What a cool gathering of family, friends and love. Plus you got great gifts! :-) It's getting very close. I believe that you will have a fabulous New Year's week gift!

hazel said...

It looks and sounds like a wonderful baby shower. The notebook is a great idea.

Jocelyn said...

Looks like you had a wonderful shower!! I love the advice, all good stuff and funny!!! :-) I will have to keep it in mind!!

Kerry said...

Oh beautiful!! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. The teacups are great!! Enjoy your gifts... 2008 will be a good year!!