the missing list
My fabulous friend Paige recently sent me an email with a link to Target’s baby sale.
(No, they’re not selling babies. They are selling all the stuff that you need for your baby. Jeez.)
In her email, Paige innocently mentioned that I could go stock up on some baby staples, like a shade for my car window.
To which I thought to myself: “huh?”
A shade for my car window? I think I’ve seen those in other people’s cars, but I gotta say it never even entered my mind that I should get one of those. I pretty much have been thinking that what I need is diapers, a crib, some bottles, and … well, I don’t really know what else.
Which caused me to spin out into a minor panic, because I realized I actually have NO IDEA what I’m supposed to buy in order to be prepared when Sprout eventually arrives.
Holy crap – I already suck at this parenting thing.
I want to do my standard search via the miracle that is the internet, but how the hell do you formulate a google search to get this information? You can’t, actually.
Clearly what I need is the What To Buy When You Are Adopting A Baby Of As-Yet-Unknown-Gender-And-Size And Also You Haven't Been A Mom Before So You Have No Freakin' Clue Shopping List.
Which, I know. Doesn't exist.

6 comments:
Deep breath! OK, 90% of the baby paraphernalia on the market are purely luxuries. You can get by for the first little while just fine with only a few essentials after a week or two with the baby home you'll have a much better feel for what baby equipment would work well in your life. If you go out now and buy all the items touted as "absolutely necessary" I guarantee you'll end up with a closet full of stuff you'll never use!
(For example, I thought a wipes warmer was the silliest invention ever before my girls were bone but it didn't take me long to get one after I found out how cold those things can get in our climate and how loud a baby will yell if you put a cold wipe on their tush)
The basics are a car seat, clothes, sleepers, bibs, socks, diapers, wipes, a couple of baby blankets, a couple of receiving blankets, bottles, a pacifier, someplace safe to put the baby while he’s sleeping (we co-sleep so just tossed the kid in bed with us), a sling or baby carrier, a stroller, baby shampoo and other toiletries, (no little tubs are necessary if you don’t want to mess with it we either put the kids in the sink or in the tub with us), and a nice high quality diaper bag,. I’m sure I’m forgetting a thing or two, but these will get you started.
If the baby is old enough to sit up you need a high chair of some kind. I recommend something small. Some of those take up a lot more room in your kitchen than they do on show room floor. If the baby is mobile then you’ll need child locks and safety gates.
Just remember not to go over board right off the bat. The stores will still be there if and when you find that some item will improve your life; otherwise, less is more!
I just had one of those moments where someone asked me if I had bought socks for our kid. We didnt have 1 pair. Now, we have loaded up on eight billion socks. Just in case.
Here's a thought - half of the fun is discovering and learning!
Think of the excitement of venturing forth without a list. I know, it's a horrifying idea, but maybe that's the lesson this kid is going to share with you?
Your loving, pushy sister,
Kate
Okay, I'm a freak - I tried to click on this from your post "What To Buy When You Are Adopting A Baby Of As-Yet-Unknown-Gender-And-Size..." I was thinking it did actually exist for a minute there and I was so happy. Hmph.
That Paige, always making trouble!
As for me, I found my packing list today, so I'll send that on soon. I'm also working on the baby list, and I'm visiting my friend with twins (she's the mom of 4) so she'll help too.
To Carrie's list, I would add "a few hosiery bags" because they are fantastic for not losing baby socks in the washer/dryer. I only recently stopped using it for kid socks, and my youngest is 4! I never found a stroller that essential--I think it depends on how urban your area is, and how big/small your child is. I would let someone give that to me as a gift...hint hint!
Post a Comment