09 May 2007

If your daughter doesn't look like you, are you still her mother?

I hate Fox News with the white-hot heat of a thousand suns, but this is a pretty good article... nothing earthshaking, but yet another reminder of how having a kid who is obviously not your biological child forces you into the spotlight.

I hear over and over again about the many ridiculous comments and questions that people will blather out upon the sight of little Black Sprout and 6'2" blonde me.

And I really want to be prepared so I can respond in a way that will affirm my child, because he or she WILL be listening.

I need to be ready to set an example for my child that it's OK to protect one's own privacy, and that a family created by adoption is just as valid as a family created by biology.

I don't want to be defensive about it though... just want to be clear, and be able to take it in stride.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Slugger and I won't be a conspicuous family (though he is half-hispanic). But when I read blogs of people getting so pissed off because of comments, I always try to think of how I would react. I think the best way is just to answer, succinctly and briefly. If you have anger or hurt in your voice when you answer, your daughter will hear that. On the same coin, I think it's fine to tell someone that their question is rude or hurtful. Your daughter will learn how to deal with prejudice through your example.

fatwonkkid said...

Do what Mr. Drummand did:

First make an odd face. Then wait for the studio audience to stop laughing. Then make sure to put the emphasis on sprout being your ADOPTED son!

hazel said...

You're right, it is a good article despite coming from Fox.

One good thing from all the hullabaloo about celebrity adoptions: adoptions (especially international) are being discussed more often and images of multi-ethnic families are becoming more mainstream. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of agro/staring/stupidity you have to endure with Sprout.

Headmeister said...

Great article, thanks for sharing it. I too think bout how I will react to people. I sometimes wonder if I'll be able to handle not being anonymous anymore. I don't like unwarranted attention, and especially from strangers. I kinda hate people...lol (just the stupid ones...lol). So I'm hoping I can rise to the occasion when someone says something to me that makes me want to bite their face off...lol. Lots to think about....

Oh, and you're an entire foot taller than me... I'm jealous!