validation
Yesterday, I had my first appointment with the Social Worker who is doing my homestudy.
It was about 2 hours of general info-gathering, and some good discussion about the issues involved in international adoption, trans-cultural adoption, and trans-racial adoption. I liked her, and it felt good to be able to talk to someone who really knows this issues inside and out.
She asked me to tell her how I arrived at the decision to pick Ethiopia. I told her that health and age were my two biggest factors - I want a child who is healthy, and age 6 months or younger when I bring him/her home. And I've always loved Africa - have traveled there several times, and feel a real connection that I can't really explain. So, I would be excited to get to incorporate Ethiopian culture into my life. And I would *love* to bring my child back to Ethiopia someday - I don't need much of an excuse to go there!!
I told her that I had concerns about raising a Black child in my mostly-white community. And I said that, ultimately, my fears about FAE/FAS and attachment disorders (which exist everywhere there are Caucasian children available for adoption internationally) outweighed my fears about the racial issues. And I even unveiled my vanity and admitted that the fact that Ethiopians are just freakin' gorgeous is a factor - embarrassing, but true - part of me would relish the chance to bask in the reflected beauty from my child.
I told her that, since I don't feel it is critical for me to have a kid who looks like me, and am willing to do the work necessary to race a child of another race, I thought I'd chuck the color thing right out the window go with the program that let me have my kid as young as possible, and from a place & culture in which I have genuine interest. And, even though I looked at every program under the sun, I just kept coming back to Ethiopia. And I've finally stopped second-guessing that.
It was nice to get to articulate my thought-process... when I heard myself saying it, it just sounded right, and comfortable.
The SW said that she was impressed by the amount of research and thought I had put into it, and that she thought I had definitely made the right choice with Ethiopia. She told me that I ws like a "breath of fresh air". I loved hearing that, being the validation ho that I am... ;-)
Now, it's time to get nose to the grindstone on the paper chase -- can't have my second visit with her (where she comes to my house! ack!) until I get documentation in...

9 comments:
That's great. It is good to get that feedback from someone who is knowledgeable. During my home study my SW said "you're saying all the right things" (not in a snotty, I-don't-believe-you way... it was genuine). It does feel good to know that your motivations and research have led you in the right direction.
I can tell that you are going to be a great mom!
Good Luck on the paperchase!!
Sounds like a great visit with the SW. You really expressed yourself well...I'd be impressed too!
Go look in the mirror and consider yourself muy validated.
May God bless you and your family.
Tips:
For Ethiopian related information and news, the best site I find is the Ethiopian Portal website:
http://www.EthioPortal.com
All the best,
VERY well articulated!!!! I did the same with our SW as to why we chose China, however she seemed to brush me off and act as if everything I was telling her was "old hat", however by the time I finished, she didn't know the first thing about any of what I was saying. Yes, she turned out to be a horrific SW and it kills me that I will ahve to deal with her again when we have to getour homestudy updated. Good for you taht you got a "good one", and now I want a baby from Ethiopia too! (but I think I've already told you that before...lol!)
It's great when you get as much out of the SW visit and they do. It confirms that you are doing the right thing in your heart!
Hope your paperwork goes quickly!
Mary
thanks for sharing that!
carla
I am so very very happy for you! You are going to be a wonderful mom.
Post a Comment