wired
Of course, one of the first things I did when I got into the new casa was get the high-speed internet hooked up. To do that, I had to get cable (no DSL here, which is weird). The price for cable internet + cable TV was only slightly more than cable internet alone, so I got the cable TV package, too.
I think I made a terrible mistake.
I haven't had TV for about FIVE YEARS, people. That's right - NO television. I had the piece of equipment, of course -- I've watched DVDs (netflix, I love you!), but there was no television signal into my house.
I didn't want it because (for me) it's totally invasive. If there is a TV on, I *cannot* ignore it. I feel compelled to pay attention to it, and I mean really pay attention -- meaning I cannot focus on anything else. When it's on, I cannot multitask, I cannot even have a conversation with someone in the same room. When I lived with my ex, we put the TV in the spare bedroom, so he could go in there and close the door and watch, because even just the sound of it completely distracted me from anything else.
So, now I have TV. It is seriously messing me up. I've watched horrible American Idol "premieres" two nights in a row, then couldn't turn the damned thing off until waaaay too late. Tonight I actually watched a full hour of a train wreck called The Janice Dickenson Modeling Agency, even though it made me want to scratch my eyes out.
I just couldn't shut the thing off.
And now, I'm overstimulated, and I can't seem to drag myself to bed... am getting a couple hours of sleep at the very time when I should be trying to get more to recover from this move and illness. Here it is, 1:00 a.m. and I'm posting.
Really, this is embarrassing. I'm a smart, successful woman. I should be able to be NORMAL about TV, shouldn't I? What happens when Sprout wants to watch Sesame Street, for crying out loud???
Perhaps it is just an adjustment period, and I'll be able to watch it in moderation soon.
Or should I pull the plug?

15 comments:
OK. First of all you need to pick a better show!
I hardly ever watch mine - it simply doesn't interest me much. I turn it on when I WANT to go to sleep ;0)
Hmmm...with the show that has you transfixed I would pull the plug. How does one desenstitize to that!?!
OK, I *know* that both those shows are CRAP!!
That was kind of my point - it is (obviuosly) not the quality of the show that keeps me transfixed... it is ust the fact that the TV is on at all...
The service did come with a DVR... maybe I'll try just watching stuff I've recorded...
I totally get sucked into bad tv all the time. I have absolutely no advice for you. Although if you start watching that Flava Flav show, you better pull the plug.
You know CS said the same thing about AI last night. It is like a train wreck. You just can't look away.
I too get sucked in by the TV. I turn it on and leave the room. Of course I have been known to sit and watch entire episodes of Sesame Street. I just call it supervising my child's television programing. But Maggie is right... pick better shows.
I wish I didn't have a TV. Before Hubby, I could go weeks without watchng, only turning on the news in the morning to see if there wre any train delays (when I worked in NYC). Other than that, it was me, my cd's, a FEW DVD's, and my kitchen and LOTS of cooking, or reading one of my dozens of books. No TV. Now, Hubby has to have it on at ALL TIMES, like it's white noise or something. Then that's when I get sucked in...
I do agree with the other commenters though - find better shows. Either that or rip the cable out of the back of it ;)
I can't do anything without the TV on. I clean house so much better if I am just hearing someones life. It can't be radio has to be TV. I am currently trying to break myself of the habit. I watch way too much TV.
when I get near a tv I stay up untill 4am wathcing I feel your pain!!! I think you will stop watching soon I think you are just filling up on it... I'd say you'll get full and then you'll stop... that's what usually happens to me... or I say ok after this show that's it and then go out doors (ok maybe not at 4 am but it helps really ... it does somthing .... being outside in the freh air remids you that you have your own life in your own neighborhood etc etc.. the out side thing helped me to snap out and snap it off.. id say pulling the plug may not actually be the best as it's like the old all or nothing thing and yes your kid will watch tv ... so this is all knowing I can't take my own advise... so what the F do I know : )
Thanks for the links. I just added you to the Ethiopia blog.
mary
what about if you pay yourself $7 a week and every time you watch an hour you have to put the money in a jar, when your $7 runs out, you are done :-)
moderation is the key :-)
Pull the plug my friend. I am also a TV addict and there is not moderation! I'm exactly the way you describe not being able to function with a TV on!
We have been TV free for 5 years with two kids...they have Sesame Street on DVD girl! We also have netfilx and there are a ton of quality kid’s movies and DVD available. Bonus is there are no advertisements so we get to miss out on all the whining about wanting a specific toy, cereal, etc.
I feel your pain! When we first went TV free our cable provider only offered internet cable if you also subscribed to cable TV. We ended up paying for Cable TV for 2 years and just never hooking it up in the house!
I may not be a good one to advise on this, but I often wish I could learn moderation for TV viewing.
Not sure if I can.
It did help in a TINY way when I only allowed myself to watch something that had been DVR'd.
Well this isn't about TV, but I can totally relate. I was just incredibly excited to see that you were a single woman adopting. I'm still decently young(23) and have recently found out that adoption will be my only way to have children. Adoption was always something I had considered and wanted to do, and now I just am going to realize the dream. Was it hard as a single woman to get agency approved? Can you tell me about how you have gone all about this adoption as a single??
I should say I'm not planning on adopting until a little later, but I thought I should be planning, and it would help to know how and what to plan.
Lindsay -
I'd be happy to tell you about AWS (Adopting While Single) :-)
It's something I've wanted to do for a long long time. I waited for a while (hoping to do this with a husband) but ultimately got tired of waiting, and am plunging ahead solo.
It was not hard to get approved.
I chose not to go the domestic adoption route, because the bio moms get to pick the adoptive parent, and 99% of the time, they pick couples (which is understandable!)
The international adoption world is very rules-oriented, so you can find out a lot by just poking around and doing research on the rules. Some countries don't allow singles. Others do. And some agenceis don't work with singles.
Once I decided on Ethiopia (which permits singles), I contacted all 7 of the US agencies who were licensed by the Ethiopian government, and asked for info.
I whittled it down to a few and then called - each agency's response to my questions was a bit different, and I was able to pick the one I wanted to work with that way.
Anyway, if you have questions, please feel free to ask!
(I went to your profile to find email this to you, but didn't see one...)
I vote PULL THE PLUG! We found out in the first three months of marriage that my husband had the same problem you face and we quite cold turkey. Nine years later we don't regret it, we visit with our kids in the evening and READ BOOKS. Of course, now I am addicted to blogs and so afraid that DH is going to PULL THE DSL.
Post a Comment