i am an idiot
OK, so today did not start out so well.
I had to get up at a ridiculously early hour (5:10, if you must know, otherwise known as "o'-dark-thirty") and drive THREE hours to go to a conference today. Me and about 1000 other lawyers. Wee hoo! What fun.
So, that wasn't super. But then I had an accident on the way there. Actually, I'm fine, and my car is fine. But I was changing lanes, and there was already someone IN the lane I was merging into (in a tiny little car in my blind spot and he was passing on the right and I had my blinker on). So he honked, and I swerved back into my lane, but he overreacted and swerved dramatically and hit a parked car. Crimeny. Not good. So we exchanged info, called the cops, called the insurance companies, etc. etc.
So THEN, I left. But before I left I neglected to take the keys off the roof of my car, where I had brilliantly put them during the exchange of insurance info.
For those of you paying attention, yes it is possible to drive away with the keys on the roof if you are using your second car key, not the primary one on your key ring. I was so flustered by the whole thing that I didn't register the fact that I was using my spare key (which I had dug out of the glove box when digging for my registration) until about 30 miles down the highway.
I immediately got off the road, praying that somehow they had remained on the roof. They did not.
At this point I said many choice four-letter words, because we all know there is no way on God's green earth that I am gonna find out where they flew off on that 30 miles of highway.
On my way home I did go by the scene of the accident and walk a couple of blocks back and forth checking the road and gutter just in case - no luck.
So now I get to replace all my keys. I feel seriously stupid.
The best part is that I have one of those over-engineered german cars with a key that has a microchip and is smarter than I am. To replace one of those keys, I was told by the very nice man in the parts department today, will cost me several HUNDRED dollars.
Bleh.

7 comments:
Ugh. What a day.
I left all the hors d'oeuvres I made for a Thanksgiving dinner on the roof of my car once, so I understand how easy it is to let that happen.
Now THAT qualifies as a crappy day.
I can't help but laugh (just a little) that you could drive off with the keys on the roof. I thought only I could do something that kooky ;0)
I left a crystal punchbowl on top of my car once....it didn't make it two feet down the drive....drat!
Hopefully the day got better!
Oh my gosh what a day. I hope today is better.
I can't believe those little keys with those little chips are so expensive.
That sounds exactly like something I would do. I can't tell you how many gas caps that I put on top of the car I have lost as I drove away. I get really flustured like that too in stressful situations. I am sorry you had a bad day.
Hey
SBP here.
sometimes it's nice just knowing people you DONT KNOW are out there rooting for you.
so I wanted to check in.
me?
in different country for MONTHS and MONTHS for our "process"
home 1 week.
first outing without bebe.
slammed keys in trunk.
no cell phone (as I had SO gotten used to not having one where Id been living).
I simply sat down and CRIED.
hang in there and hope your day got better....
SBP
Thanks, SBP!!!
What a completely bad day... yuck!
I'm usually good for an entire cup of coffee flying off my roof!
I hope your day got better!
Post a Comment