cultural hijacking?
Hi y'all -- need some feedback.
I've noticed, with great interest, that many folks adopting from China have a "100 Good Wishes Quilt" project going on. (This involves getting squares of fabric, together with notes of good wishes, from 100 people. The 100 squares are then made into a quilt for the adopted child.)
I *love* this idea.
As I understand it, it stems from a Chinese tradition. I don't want to be culturally insensitive here, but I really want to do this.
Would it be too weird to steal this idea and do this for my Ethiopian child?

7 comments:
Not at all! A lot of my pregnant patients are now making them for their kids. Hey, it's a great idea....go for it :0)
Considering all of the different cultures that come together through IA, I think it is a fabulous idea! Why not? I almost like it better for your baby from Ethiopia.
I think it's a great idea. Just don't start saying it's an Ethiopian tradition! :-)
OMG, that is a fantastic idea! Sometimes I feel like the good old USA has no "feel good" traditions left. I say go for it, and let me know when you do because I want to be sure to send you a quilt square!
BTW - do you know of any Ethiopian traditions that perhaps we may want to "borrow"? Being that I've had my eye on Ethiopia for a while as my second childs country of origin, it may come in useful someday :)
I think it's a great idea. Go for it. I'd love to do one for our kiddo.
I like the idea so much I would like to do it for the Russian adoption
It is fun- I say go for it.
Post a Comment