16 July 2007

a load off

[Sorry, y'all, for the lack of posts... had a houseguest and then got sick as a dog, and am just now getting vertical.]

The good news is that I finally told my boss I am adopting. It's been hard to know the right time to tell him - wanted to wait until I was well-established (I'm pretty new) and also wanted to give him a lot of advance notice.

We were in a big meeting, then everyone else got up to go and we stayed back for a little strategy meeting. He shared some stuff with me that he didn't have to (about the future of the department, and where I fit in, etc.) which was really nice, and I took the opportunity to tell him my plans.

He reacted probably the best possible way - lots of excitement and happiness. And stories about his kids. And complete support.

We never even got around to talking about the fact that I'm adopting internationally, which I kind of love. It's nice that the focus was just that I'm going to be a mom, and not that I'm adopting from Ethiopia. I don't want to hide that - in fact I'm really looking forward to talking with him about it, but sometimes the conversation about becoming a parent gets eclipsed by the WAY I'm becoming a parent. And I'm glad it wasn't the case here.

We are still planning to keep it on the low-down (not telling the big cheese until absolutely necessary, as we are unsure about his opinion of single moms and don't want it to affect my career path in any way). But it's a big relief to have told my boss, because I relaly like and respect him and I was feeling uncomfortable keeping it from him, even though it's not likely to happen until the end of this year or even early next year...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great news. Does your firm have an adoption leave policy? Mine actually didn't, but they are creating one now. I actually told them 3 months ago, thinking that would give about 9 months notice in total - more than any of the pregnant moms give! But with the court closures I'm looking at early next year now, so they'll have had a full year to plan. Although "planning" probably just means memorizing my home phone number :)

kate said...

What good news! It's *so* nice to have that support...and to feel like it's not a secret. I'm so glad you got the response you did. Will you get FMLA time?

C's Mom said...

Glad you're feeling better AND that you're getting great support from the boss :0)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are working at the right place! Lots of people, not just bosses, aren't supportive of single moms, but then again, lots of people aren't supportive of parents, and the effort that it takes to raise a thoughtful, kind future citizen. I remember having to tell my boss that I was pregnant; I thought it was obvious that I was vomiting at my desk (really!) and it turned out that no one had any idea! Life happens, and your workplace will survive and thrive with your absences and presence.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you told--did you make it to Sacramento too?

Sorry you came down with the prevailing ick--we've all had it too.

Glad you're weller,
xo

Sarah and Tim said...

Congrats on taking that big step. I'm glad you got that response. I know it can be kind of intimidating to do that when you're not exactly sure how they're going to react.

fatwonkkid said...

so you gonna wait until after you get a promotion or raise before you tell the big cheese?

that is kinda like how i resigned from my last job...well sorta...

i walked into my bosses office asked for some vacation time because it was my anniversary. he said ok. then I handed him my letter of resignation. hahaha.

that was cool!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good... you can't beat having your boss in your corner, especially when the reaction of the higher-ups is in question!