vegas, day 1
Had a pretty pleasant morning, because I didn't go in to work, and just puttered and got some stuff done at home before leaving for the airport.
Then I was blessed with good parking karma at the airport, and got a decent seat on the plane.
Got into the Las Vegas airport, walked out of the plane, and boom! there they are - slots. in the airport! Don't know why this surprised me at all, but it did.
This is two steps off the jetway (taken with my phone, so crappy quality):
After a long shuttle fiasco, finally arrived at the MGM. This place is MASSIVE. It's like it's own city. The walk from my room to the conference center is about 15 minutes, and I pass about 10 restaurants, a Starbucks, about 20 shops and miscellaenous other businesses, all within the MGM. Kinda freaky because at no point do you step outside. Or even see a window.
Dinner was surprisingly fun. Mostly because I sat across from my colleague from Ireland who is (1) sexy and (2) funny as hell, and (3) did I mention Irish? Love love love the accent. Could just listen to him all night. No potential action there, as I wouldn't want to get involved with someone in my same department, and he is not interested in me in that way anyway, but it was fun nonetheless.
After dinner, several folks headed out to various bars, and I bailed to come back up to my room. I hate the bar thing, and I don't really know anyone here**, and so I chickened out.
My hair does indeed smell like cigarette smoke, so I'm off to bathe before I hit the hay. Tomorrow is a long day of meetings, but I think it will at least be interesting. And there is swag - I got a computer bag and a jacket today. Who knows what tomorrow brings?
** Yes, I know that the way to meet people is to get out there and mingle. I just hate doing it. Am painfully horribly uncomfortable.

5 comments:
There are slot machines in the Moscow airport by the bathrooms.
Cool that you get swag bags. Have fun while you are there.
Oh, Vegas is about 60% evil. And I like that!
Ok, you do have to leave the MGM once. Across the skywalk is the NY NY. Very cool! Yes still a casino, smoky and loud, but kitchy. If you like rollercoasters theirs is fun! If you like art there is a fine art museum in the Bellagio. Best part is you have to go into the conservatory to see it. The museum costs money, but the conservatory doesn't. The tropical garden inside the Mirage is kinda cool too. See I'm trying to give you suggestions on the whole avoiding you are actually on the strip thing.
I'd say if you get another invite... just go our for one night of drinks you'll have fun really!!! you know YOU are a lot of fun to hang out with my friend you'd be doing them a favor : ) ... just pretend carverlaitermiesterman and I are there : ) xoxo
do i know this irish hunk-a-munka?
Post a Comment