01 January 2007

Year in Review, and more...

I’m back!

  1. Happy (late) New Year to y’all. I came back to many new posts to catch up on – you all have been busy. Will have to “multitask” at work tomorrow.
  2. Had a great time at Clare and Brian’s place in Oregon (which is 68.8 acres, not 60 acres as I previously reported). Clare has thrilled me by starting a new blog to chronicle their adventures in moving to the country. Check it out!
  3. Finally, the fabulous Heather tagged me with this Year In Review meme… (thanks for the kind words, Heather – I think you rock, too!!)

So here goes (it's long - sorry!): my Year In Review, 2006:

1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?

Decided not to wait for Mr. Wonderful any more!

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Yikes – I think I resolved NOT to make resolutions last year. So, a perfect record... This year kind of snuck up on me, but maybe I’ll make some new months’ resolutions instead…

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes – my cousin Greg and his great wife Kristin had their third child, and first boy, Griffin.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No, thank God. Had quite a slew of those recently. Nice to have a break from that.

5. What countries did you visit?

South Africa, Namibia, and (briefly) the U.K.

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?

World peace. A fitter body. A child!

7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

August 28th. Started my new job, after 5 years of working for myself and consulting, and having total flexibility and freedom.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

It was a series of achievements, really: Gave up the consulting life. Applied for and got the new job. Sold my house and moved. Found and joined a new church. All in the service of bringing Sprout home.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I gave up on working at the winery. I don’t know if that was a failure, or recognition that it was not going to become what it needed to become in order for me to stay. I have an almost physical aversion to quitting anything, though, so it was hard to walk away, even though I know think it was right. (Wait, so why did I just write that it was a failure? Clearly I have some work to do on this one… )

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

No – got the normal cold/crud that I get every time I go on a long-haul flight, but otherwise (thank God), I was relatively healthy.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My new house.

12. Whose behavior merits celebration?

Everyone who pitches in when something needs to get done, without waiting to be asked. Everyone who lends a helping hand while preserving the dignity of the person who needs the help. Everyone who gives anonymously. And, the folks who run the Elephant Sanctuary.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and upset?

The person or people who cut the locks on my luggage and stole all my camera gear in Johannsburg Int’l Airport. The trip to Namibia was a huge splurge, the last of my “free” life before Sprout, and the primary purpose for me was to take pictures. To get there, open my bags, and find everything gone was heartbreaking.

14. Where did most of your money go?

To selling my house, and buying the new one.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

The idea that I might really truly get to be a mom soon

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

A) happier or sadder? Happier

B) thinner or fatter? Fatty-fat-fatter.

C) richer or poorer? Richer (in the holistic sense), but I am making less money.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Exercise.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Waffling. Worrying whether people will like me.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

With family, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

21. Miles driven this season:

Many many many. Probably 800 or so.

22. Did you fall in love in 2006?

No. But, for the first time in a long time, I was open to it.

23. How many one-night stands?

None.

24. What was your favorite TV program?

Grey’s Anatomy.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

I don’t hate anyone. There are some folks I disrespect, and some I pity, but it’s just not worth the effort to hate ‘em.

26. What was the best book you read?

There Is No Me Without You, by Melissa Fay Greene.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Corinne Bailey Rae. Love love love her.

28. What did you want and get?

Change! Boy did I get it.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?

Duma. It’s not new, but I didn’t see it until this year. Beautiful African scenery, a leopard, and Campbell Scott. What's not to love?

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

My sister and friends had a surprise lunch party for me – it was great! I was O-L-D.

32.What's one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

A relationship. But I’m not sure how I would have fit that in.

33. How do you feel about your fashion sense for 2006?

Big switch, and I’m still adjusting. Went from the boots and jeans of the winery/vineyard to office clothes. I do like being a bit more girly, but I gotta say that I miss working in comfortable clothes!

34. What kept you sane?

My sister, Kate. My dog, India. My girlfriends. Hope. Prayer.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

That’s a tie: Colin Firth and L.L. Cool J.


Yummy.



36. What political issue stirred you the most?

Darfur.

37. Who did you miss?

Also a tie: my dad, and my little sister Margaret.

38. Who was the best new person you met?

This is a shared honor: all of YOU, my new bloggy friends! I started this blog somewhat half-heartedly, not really sure it was something I wanted to do. And then, one by one, I’ve met you – my lovely pals – who faithfully come and check on me, and leave a comment, and make me feel loved!! Thank you, thank you. I can’t tell you what it means to me to be in touch with – and supported by – other folks who are also on this adoption road.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:

I learned that once you *decide* something – really truly commit to it, God and/or the universe tends to bring you all kinds of things to help you accomplish it. I really believe that intention has great power in it. Once I decided to adopt, it was like everything fell into place for me to allow that to happen.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

From U2’s “Rejoice”:

I can't change the world

But I can change the world in me

If I rejoice.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooooh WINERY?

I adored the book SIDEWAYS.


cant wait until Im no longer secret ;)

SBP

Headmeister said...

Hola Chou2!

After reading your list and reading your #39, you REALLY need to go back to MY list and follow my advice for my #30!!!

Love the music lyric quote too :)

Clare Carver said...

Hey CC thanks for encouraging me to blog I love your year in review!! ... 6 more days and counting for you : ) xox c

Calico Sky said...

Oh I love that post, but really there is no contest, Colin Firth all the way - just hearing him speak melts my heart!!!!

I'm really glad that you had a nice time away. It's really funny because I did consulting and went back to employment this year - strange we have that in common too.

The book your recommended 'There is no me without you' as my Christmas present to myself. It has just arrived, can't wait to read it.

Happy New Year dear friend. Will email you my address tonight.