07 January 2007

oh, the horror


OK, so promptly after I wrote my last post, waxing rhapsodic about life on the ranch, my dog and Josie (Nicole's dog) got sprayed by a skunk.

I was walking her around the ranch for a bit before I was going to leave for church, and Nicole and Josie joined us. The dogs ran ahead around a corner then came running back, coughing and gagging and pawing at their faces.

Nicole and I were about 100 feet away, so we got it too - just not a direct hit like the dogs did.

Holy crap. This is horrific. As you can imagine, I did not make it to church.

We made the dogs go in the pond, then bathed them in tomato juice. Twice. Then used this stuff called Nature's , which says it removes skunk smell, but it doesn't, really.

India smelled so bad, I'm telling you, it was hard to keep from retching while I was bathing her. I took a scorching hot shower and quarantined everything I was wearing. But I'm still not smelling so nice, myself. And it seems like everything I own has taken on this scent too.

Oh my LORD. I'm supposed to move tomorrow -- the guys are showing up at 9:00 am. They are going to have to load a bunch of skunky-smelling stuff into their truck.

And what the hell am I going to do with India? She REEKS. As of tomorrow night, I'll be in the new house. I really don't want to stink it up with the horrible smell. But it's way too cold to leave her outside. Argggh!!!

8 comments:

Maggie said...

Eew. When I was yough our dog got skunked, too. We did the tomato juice thing too and the trick was letting it soak on him for a while, rinsing, reapplying, letting it soak, etc. It took several times before the odor was gone. I don't know how you could let tomato juice soak on India at this time of year, though. We had the luxury of being outside.

Clare Carver said...

hey girlie!! congrats on the move today must have been helacious! hope the dog dog is smelling better thinking of you!!! xoxo c

Special K said...

Yikes! Can honestly say this city girl has never had to deal with that. So no advice for ya... but my sympathies!

fatwonkkid said...

i was reading this post between doing other things, and I got interrupted on the sixth paragrah. I read the first part of the first sentence of paragraph 6...hehe...that was funny.

C's Mom said...

Oh *#*$. You poor thing. That qualifies up there in the top percents of lousy days.

I wish I knew some great answer but, unfortunately, I am clueless as to what really works.

Poor India, too!

Feelin' for ya!

Kate Merriman said...

Blessed be the stinky.

Calico Sky said...

awful, poor you!!!!!
I heard tomato juice bath or milk bath!

Anonymous said...

I know it's too late for India, but I swear by this de-skunking recipe! Mix together 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap (like Dawn or Joy). Wet the dog or cat's fur with water, and then use this solution to shampoo the animal completely. (Avoid the eyes and inner ear, but get everywhere else!) Rinse thoroughly, then repeat if necessary. You need to use this solution as soon as you make it--it won't keep. Wear old clothes (duh!) since the peroxide can discolor fabrics. This has been my miracle several times. Ginger