oma's blonde brownies
Margaret over at The Open Window had a great idea to post family recipes – I think Elle started the ball rolling (perhaps inadvertently!) …
This recipe is my favorite, not only because it makes some scrumptious (and easy!) treats, but because Mary Lemke, its author, was a wonderful woman. She was like a surrogate grandmother to my mom, who really needed someone like that in her life. We all called her “Oma”, which is German for grandma. And since the recipe comes from her, I've made them "blonde" brownies - the feminine form of blond. :-)
Oma married Hans, lived on ranch in northern California. I loved visiting her at the ranch, with its screen porches and big green lawns and huge hydrangea bushes, like an island of green surrounded by acres and acres of almond trees baking in tidy rows in the searing heat of summer.
She was a lifelong cook and loved to entertain. I hope that people will be as comfortable in my new home as I was in Oma’s house.
Oma’s Blonde Brownies
3 eggs
2½ cups (1 package) brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
1½ cups sifted flour
½ t. salt
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
3 oz. (1/2 package) of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat eggs well.
- Add sugar gradually, beating until well mixed.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift flour and salt together and stir into the egg mixture.
- Add nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes.

5 comments:
i loved those brownies too! I think the bushes around her house were actually camellias. (Not that it matters.) I remember seeing a thing called a "levy" for the first time at her place.
You're very right about Elle unwittingly starting this idea.
Thanks for posting a recipe. I'll put up a link to it!
No one in my family ever wrote down recipies!
I think I am the first.
sounds yummy
These sound delicious!!!
thanks for sharing,
Laura
Post a Comment