22 August 2007

Roots

Here is a cool thing - especially for anyone who is adopted and yearning to know more about their biological ancestors.

You can now track your own ancestry through a simple DNA test.

[That's DNA pictured here... or an artist's rendition anyway. :-) ]

National Geographic is sponsoring something called the Genographic Project, which maps human migration patterns.

You can pay $100 (ouch, I know), and send for a kit to collect your DNA (a swab of the cheek), send it in.

You will get a report and mapping of where your ancestors came from, and (if you choose) participate in the larger mapping project, which be going on for several years.

Very very cool. Here's the link for general info about the Genographic Project.

5 comments:

Tami said...

The one specifically for people of African roots is $349! I did that one because I wanted the whole scoop AND it's the one Oprah used! LOL

yorkiemom said...

My husband and I both did the tests a couple of years ago. The results were really intriguing and it was interesting to see the migration and mutation of the different genes.

Calico Sky said...

Yes, it's great isn't it! My work did this last year...as of yet, I don't feel the need but I can see how wonderful it is, especially for those looking for roots!

kate said...

I've been interested in doing this just for curiousity's sake! I think it would be interesting to do for me and for d2b...to see where we overlap.

Kate Merriman said...

I signed up for this, although perhaps redundantly if sisterly DNA reports are going to be identical...would they?